Thursday, May 31, 2012

Update from pathology report...

I posted this in Facebook's notes, but then realized a few of you that are keeping up with me aren't ON Facebook, so I am copying and pasting it here as well.

Vanderbilt called today at 1:00.
This is what I wrote down in my notepad:

Total cancer tumor size was a little over 12 cm.
Chemo killed 10 cm. Dr. Meszoely removed the invasive cancer that was left which was a total of 2.4 cms.
She removed 10 lymph nodes, 3 of which were involved.  Got clear margins.   Cancer is gone.
You are still Stage 4 since it metastasized to other areas (spine & kidney)  and you will not be getting radiation
due to the fact you've already had it many years ago (one can't be radiated more than once in the same area) and the areas overlap.  You will still need to come see Dr. Meszoely next Friday to have drains removed and set up an appointment with Dr. Mayer (my oncologist) to discuss what is next.



I wasn't sure if this was GOOD news or just news.....  I was a little disappointed at not being able to have radiation just as a precaution but as my dad asked, "If the cancer from your breast is gone,  what is there to radiate?"   I will be asking for chemo ASAP not because I love it, but because without it, I feel vulnerable and very unprotected. Cancer has been a part of my life twice.  Briefly when I was 19,  and then again beginning in September 2011.  When I heard the words "cancer is gone"... I wanted to fall to the floor, but then I remembered being Stage 4, I will always have cancer.  I will take what I can get though and celebrate & rejoice that I didn't get the news of the cancer spreading.

Sooooo,  this is good news--- and this probably puts me back at having the option of implants when its time for reconstruction.  I have just about gotten used to the idea of the tram flap- even though the recovery isn't very easy.

Anyway.. .thank you all for your prayers-- they worked!!!!

Thank you, GOD, for having your hands on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment